Little Village Camden seek an organised, creative and determined self-starter to join them as a Director. This is an exciting new, paid, part-time (28 hours/week) position and the successful applicant will ensure the effective running and sustainability of Little Village Camden, and its capability to reach a greater number of families and volunteers.
Little Village are a wonderful community-based charity helping families in need, operating like a foodbank, but for clothes, toys and equipment for babies and children up to the age of five. The Camden site started accepting referrals in January 2017 and in its first year of operation supported over 350 families, gifting items worth in excess of £200,000.
Here’s what they say about the role:
“We’re looking for an organised, creative and determined self-starter to help us support as many families as we can. We want to double our impact in 2018 and 2019 and this Director role is a key part of our plan. You’ll have lots of freedom to shape the job to make it your own. Locally you’ll be supported by other key staff members – our Volunteer Co-ordinator and our Stock Manager – and our Operating Committee.
While this is a new paid role for Little Village Camden, there will be a handover period with the volunteer currently running the site. She is not applying for the role due to other commitments. More widely you will have the support of other sites in the Little Village network and our Trustee Board. Little Village is a really fun, talented, and committed place to work.
We’re looking for someone who can work approximately 28 hours a week. We’re very open about when and how these hours are done – they don’t all need to be in the office, you will need to be there every Monday and Wednesday morning during term time to run our weekly drop in session. We’re passionate about ensuring our roles work with the grain of family life.”
HOURS: 28 hours per week, 43 weeks per year which must include Camden school terms (39 weeks) and 9.30am to 3.00pm on Mondays and Wednesdays during term time.
SALARY: £25,000 pro rata
DURATION: Permanent contract with 3 month probation period
LOCATION: Little Village Camden, Somers Town Community Association, 150 Ossulston Street, NW1 1EE
PROCESS: The deadline for applications is 26th March. Please send a CV and cover letter outlining why you’re interested in the role, and what you can bring to it, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews will be held week commencing 9th April. Do drop us a line with any questions or to fix up an informal chat beforehand.
Purpose of the Role
To ensure the effective running and sustainability of Little Village Camden, and its capability to reach a greater number of families and volunteers. Working alongside other employees and the voluntary Operating Committee to ensure progress is monitored and all targets met. The successful applicant will report to the Operations Director of Little Village HQ.
- Motivate the local team of staff and volunteers to remain engaged and to be ambassadors for the charity.
- Set and agree with Little Village HQ objectives and KPIs for Little Village Camden on an annual basis, monitor progress towards these and report progress to Little Village HQ.
- Oversee fundraising work to ensure that the local funding requirements are met.
- Maintain and develop relationships with referral partners, other complementary local charities, local funding and corporate partners.
- Alongside the local Referrals Manager, prepare for and run sessions for families we support, working with the local Volunteer Coordinators to ensure these sessions are appropriately staffed.
- Coordinate the site’s outreach program, liaising with referral partners to set up regular “pop-up” events throughout the borough.
- Support the local Volunteer Coordinator and Stock Manager in recruiting, engaging and retaining volunteers and in ensuring donations are high quality and plentiful.
- Work with Little Village HQ and the local Coordinator to arrange training for staff and volunteers.
- Manage Little Village Camden’s social media presence including working with Little Village HQ and local social media volunteers to produce and post content, and respond to queries through social media.
- To translate HQ’s strategy, values and communications campaigns into workable local plans.
- Recruit vacant posts in the site operating committee and advisory board.
- To work in conjunction with the site treasurer to agree an annual budget.
- To maintain oversight of the referrals and impact data, ensuring these are hitting KPIs.
- Attend Little Village Camden Operating Committee meetings.
- Participate in activities with other sites in the Little Village network to share learning between sites and to develop new ideas.
- Implement the policies of Little Village including acting as safeguarding lead for Little Village Camden. Appropriate training will be provided.
- Represent Little Village and be one of the faces of Little Village in the community, ensuring it is a wellliked professional player in local community life.
Skills and Experience
- Exceptional organisational skills.
- The ability to communicate with, supervise and empower staff and volunteers to be effective in their roles—management experience and experience with volunteers preferable.
- The ability to work cooperatively with different types of personalities.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to speak confidently and compassionately to a diverse range of groups.
- Ability to prioritise workloads and manage multiple tasks.
- Knowledge of safeguarding issues.
- Knowledge of and commitment to equal opportunities and anti-discriminatory practice.
- Knowledge of roles of agencies providing support to families and children. Experience working within the public sector as or with midwives, health visitors, teachers or social workers desirable.
- Knowledge of the voluntary sector and roles and responsibilities of voluntary committees.
- Good knowledge of local area and a commitment to the values of Little Village.
- The ability to think creatively and problem solve independently.
For more information please go to www.littlevillagehq.org
Little Village Camden also seek a Referrals Manager, 16 hours per week, details here.
* Applications for this role have now closed – thank you for your interest. *