Engineering firm AECOM are introducing a new scheme called Apprentice Plus, designed to tap into a new group of potential employees – namely those people, often women, who have delayed the start of their career, or who want to change careers after a break. And there are two exciting opportunities within the Building Services Engineering team in St Albans, an easy commute from Central London.
Unlike other traditional returner programmes, AECOM’s Apprentice Plus does not require applicants to have previous relevant experience. It is targeted at people who have been out of the workplace for some time who want to refocus on their career, change career, or start a career for the first time.
Concerned that you have left it too late to start a new career journey? Worried that you don’t have the right qualifications? AECOM’s Apprentice Plus programme is open to anyone, regardless of age, qualifications or experience and provides the appropriate support and guidance to help people kick start a new career whatever their circumstances.
AECOM’s Apprentice Plus is an apprentice programme with a difference. It offers a flexible working approach from the outset to allow people to balance home commitments with their wish to invest in their own career.
Following completion a short period of time working in the business, AECOM will fund an apprenticeship training course, starting in September 2018. Participants must commit to attending college for one full day per week and then a minimum of 20 hours a week in the office. The type and length of the college course will depend on your levels of experience and education. AECOM will also provide in-house training and development to support the return to the workplace.
Apprentices will be paired with an experienced engineer who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects. Training is arranged on software engineering tools and AutoCAD to ensure all engineers have a full set of design skills. In the early stages, apprentices will typically undertake the following:
- Produce draft design mechanical or electrical drawings for projects
- Produce CAD drawings
- Carry out design calculations for checking and approval
- Compile tender packages including drawings and specifications
- Ensure Safety Health and Environment procedures are implemented
- Minimum of 5 GCSE’s (or equivalent) at grade ‘C’ or above, including Mathematics & English
- Demonstrate an interest in and a desire to pursue a career in Building Services Engineering
- Demonstrate strong teamworking skills
- Commitment to continued education and improvement through on-the-job learning and training opportunities
- Creative, practical, adaptable and enthusiastic
- Ability to demonstrate attention to detail
- Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organise parts of projects
- English language proficient, holding excellent communication skills to present information in speech, drawings and reports
For more information and for details on how to apply see here. Applications close 16th March 2018.
** Applications for this role have now closed, thank you for your interest **
This is a paid and permanent position, the starting salary range for trainees is £13K-£16K FTE.
AECOM also has two opportunities for Traffic Engineers, details here.